I am enthused with the early results of my latest project, a crocheted outdoor mat made solely from recycled plastic bags cut into strips (plarn).
I’ve seen various instructions online for these types of projects, but I opted to be stubborn and begin this do-it-yourself project without a set pattern. You know how it is, instructions tend to confuse me. You too?
- plastic bags (grocery, bread, or shopping bags of fairly equal thickness)
- aluminum crochet hook size N – 9.000 MM
- Cut the bottom off of bags
- Cut the bags into strips (plastic yarn = plarn) 3/4” wide medium-thin plastic, up to 1 1/4” wide very thin plastic (cut one continuous strip from each bag – picture an apple peeled in one spiral strip)
- Chain plarn (to desired length or width of rug)
- Single crochet in each chain
- Chain one
- Single crochet in each single crochet
- Repeat steps 5 -6 until desired length (or width) of rug is obtained
I plan to single crochet around the outer edges of the finished rug, and I might add a decorative fringe.
I’ll post updates as the rug progresses.
What do you think? Do you like it too?